Saturday, December 29, 2007

Liam's First Road Trip

We drove up to Sydney on Boxing Day morning. Unfortunately Liam had chosen to have his most unsettled night of sleep so far the night before, so we were a little later getting away than we had hoped, and Soph and I were both very tired! On the plus side we managed to make it all the way to Croydon without having to stop for a feed. We thought we'd have to stop at Sutton Forest McDonald's to feed him as he started crying just before we reached it, but just as we had pulled in to a parking spot he stopped, and we decided we'd head off again and see what happened. He started crying again on the M5, and we decided that we would give him 5 minutes to settle back down again or we'd pull over and feed him, but again he stopped and he was quiet the rest of the way.

The rest of the day was spent with various sections of my family. My family from London (Anne, Kuldeep and Nina) were visiting so it was fantastic to catch up with them once more, and show off Liam to them. We also got the mandatory "Four Generations" photo with Liam, myself, my Mum and her father (my Grandad). We then headed to Longueville to visit my Dad's side of the family - my Grandpa and my uncles John and Graham. After the traditional games of Rage and Uno, and another "Four Generations" photo with Liam, myself, my Dad and his father (my Grandpa) we headed to Amy and Simon's place in Illawong (although the Millers were still in Canberra so we had the place to ourselves). We pretty much unpacked, fed Liam, and collapsed into bed.

Liam didn't sleep particularly well in either of the two nights we were there. Each night contained one bad section where he didn't really sleep at all between feeds, which of course meant Soph and I didn't sleep between feeds either. I guess it's understandable with all the new surroundings and new people to meet for his schedule to be thrown a little!

On the 27th we drove to Lisa and Jesse's house to spend some time with them and Nina. We accidentally took the long way round to get there so it took about an hour, and before I'd even got in the door I almost had to turn around and drive straight back as we had Amy and Simon's only set of keys and Simon was an hour away from arriving at his house! Luckily he was able to find a way inside and I was spared a 90 minute round trip. We had a lovely dinner at an Italian Restaurant in Lane Cove, followed by dessert at Baskin & Robbins which I didn't really need but hey, it's Christmas!

The 28th we went back to Croydon to spend some more time with my Grandad and the Virdis, before driving back home again. Liam started crying much earlier this time so we decided to stop and feed him at Sutton Forest. He was still a little unsettled after that but we made it home and he fell asleep almost as soon as his head hit the mattress on his bassinet.

I loved showing Liam to all my family up in Sydney, but it was certainly a very tiring trip, I don't think we'll be doing another one for a while!

No comments: