Saturday, December 08, 2007

Longevity

In the end we were unable to travel to Sydney for my Great Aunt Edna's (Auntie's) 100th birthday celebration. A district nurse visited yesterday and said that he was a little under the minimum weight he should be at this stage and that we should be feeding him more. Then last night he brought up some impressively fluorescent yellow vomit just before feeding time and then refused to feed. We checked the internet and called Health First, with both saying that it's something we should get checked out. So we went back to Calvary where we were reassured that he was doing fine, and as long as it didn't become a common occurrence it was nothing to worry about. Since then he's been feeding much better, but Soph and I decided that it would be best for all of us if we stayed at home.

So it is a real shame to miss such a momentous occasion and the chance to show Liam my extended family. There is also a very impressive display of longevity genes on show at the party today. Auntie will have three of her siblings in attendance: her older brother Norm who is 104, her younger sister Snow who I think is 97, and her younger brother Ray (my Grandad) who has just turned 91. There's probably not too many people who can turn 100 and celebrate with so many of their brothers and sisters!

That's definitely one gene I hope I've inherited, and I hope I've passed it on to my son. I like the thought of Liam celebrating his 100th birthday in 2107!

No comments: