Sunday, November 25, 2007

Best. Election. Ever.

I had a fantastic time at my parents' election party last night. Every one of the guests was a staunch Labor supporter, which gave the party the same atmosphere as that of a bunch of friends cheering on a sporting team - we clapped and cheered every time Labor was recording a double-digit swing, or a Liberal minister looked to be in trouble. But it was the thought of Little Johnny sitting at home and watching the results go against him - both nationally and in his own electorate - that really made my night! How he must regret not retiring a year or two ago, he could have soaked up the adulation of his followers for a couple of months before handing over to Costello and going out a winner. And if/when Costello lost the election he would have looked even better! Instead he got the quick, embarrassing exit that his selfishness deserved.

At least now I'll be able to be a little more rational about who I vote for in elections. Up until now my loathing for Howard has made my voting a "what would be the worst for the Liberals?" strategy. Now I'll actually compare the policies of all the parties. Not that it makes all that much difference as I'm in the very safe Labor seat of Fraser, but it's the principle that counts! I imagine that Labor will win a second term unless they manage to completely screw up the country, but the election after next could be quite interesting!

No comments: