Friday, August 06, 2004

Cinema and Red Lights

I went to see Spider-man 2 last night, and I really loved it! The cinema experience was very retro though. The theatre itself was long and narrow, about the same size and shape as Electric Shadows. And I had it all to myself. There were no ads at the start but there were about 6 or 7 previews. Spider-man 2 was subtitled in Greek (but I didn't really notice it at all after about 5 minutes). It stopped abruptly in the middle and I thought something was wrong, but it was intermission! It's been a LONG time since I've had an intermission at a movie. It was only about 5 minutes long, and after another couple of previews the movie started up again. The movie also finished quite suddenly, with no credits shown at all.

Crossing roads here is a bit of an adventure due to the fact that Cypriots don't have much regard for traffic lights. Cars will not stop at an intersection unless they are forced to by oncoming traffic... and even then they inch out across the intersection, looking for gaps to dash through. I'm quite glad they drive on the left here so at least I don't have to concentrate on which way to look as I'm crossing a road! It's little wonder that there's a lot of broken glass on the intersections I pass on the way to work.

No comments: