Thursday, August 19, 2004

Great news!

I got some fantastic news this morning, I'm definitely joining a team at DIMIA so I'll be going back to Canberra to work. The contract is initially for 3 months, but as long as I do a good job it should be extended to a year or more. And it looks like I'll be getting 1-on-1 training for two weeks, starting on Monday... so I should be back much earlier than expected! I'm sure some of you think I'm crazy to be so happy at leaving Cyprus in summer and returning to Canberra in winter, but I just haven't been able to enjoy myself properly here without Soph. But now that my future is all decided I can stop worrying about being stuck here and start enjoying myself!

And that's going to start tomorrow when I go to the Olympics... now I'm starting to get really excited! I've booked accommodation for the Friday night as well (although I'm still waiting for them to send me the voucher for that night, which is starting to get a little worrying) so I'll only have "Airport Accommodation" for 4 or 5 hours on Sunday night. I'm going to be a wreck on Monday of course, but so be it... I think it's worth it!

I'll also have to figure out what I want to do around Cyprus before I leave. I don't know when my flight home will be, but it will probably depart somewhere between the 3rd of September and the 9th of September. If it's on Friday 3rd (directly after 2 weeks of training) then I'll only really have next weekend for sightseeing... and that's the last weekend of the Olympics! So a bit of a choice. There's no way I'm missing the mens marathon on the Sunday night (I'll be at the women's marathon this sunday but I'd like to watch the mens on TV to get the overall picture... plus I just love watching marathons!). I definitely want to do a day-trip across the border into North Nicosia, but I'd also like to go to Paphos (south-west coast) and the central Troodos Mountains. I guess I'll have to wait until I have a definite departure date before making any plans.

2 comments:

aidanb said...

Congratuations!

fergle said...

that's so unfair!
So now you are getting back BEFORE Todd! Argh, that's so unfair. Grumble. Grumble. Grumble.
Oh, and congratulations, it will be nice to have you home:-)
(grumble)