Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Friday in Athens and Lavrio

When I arrived at Larnaca airport, I found that Friday afternoon + holiday week + Olympics = airport chaos. The check in counters were completely packed, and it looked like I was in for an hour's queueing or so. However soon after I joined a really long queue, they opened up a couple of counters specifically for my flight, so I ended up getting through very quickly. The rest of the trip to Athens was pretty uneventful.

I was carrying all my luggage with me on the plane (two backpacks) so I got out of the airport quite quickly, but I had an hour's wait or so for the last bus to Lavrio so I just wandered around the airport for a while, and watched some Olympics on the TV screens.

The bus ride was only 50 minutes, so a lot faster than I was expecting, but it still made a lot of seemingly unneccessary stops: one was about 300m further on from another stop, and the most bizarre was out in the middle of nowhere on a featureless, unlit highway, where a man getting off was met by another man with a torch. It had the appearance of a spy thriller, with an exchange of secret documents about to take place.

Anyway I arrived in Lavrio at about 11pm. I was a little apprehensive as I had no idea how easy it was going to be to get from the bus stop to the ship (despite repeated requests the travel agent didn't supply me with that information). However I could see an enormous ship in the harbour as I stepped off the bus so that made things easy! It was a longer walk than it seemed at first, about 10 minutes away, and I realised when I got there that I was lucky I picked the right ship as I could see another one on the other side of the bay, probably at least a half hour's walk away.

Here's the Aegean I:





I checked in and went to my room, it was quite basic with two single beds and a small bathroom, but it was certainly a lot more comfortable than my original plan of sleeping in the transfer lounge at the airport! I had a quick look around the ship, at the half-empty pool and the lounge areas (there was string duet playing which was quite nice) but I was quite tired with a busy day ahead so I went to sleep straight away.

No comments: