Friday, August 20, 2004

Larnaca Airport

This won't come as a big suprise to anyone who has read my constant complaints about the transportation problems in Cyprus, but there is absolutely no public transport between the capital city Nicosia, and the country's primary airport at Larnaca. The airport used to be in Nicosia but ended up in the buffer zone after the invasion / recovery (depending on which TV station you're watching) by Turkey.

Anyway, you can get a bus to Larnaca itself (except on Saturdays after 1pm and all day Sunday, of course). And then you can get a bus to the airport, which is just out of town, but you can't go directly from Nicosia to the airport.

Given that there's apparently 10 flights a day between Larnaca and Athens alone, you'd think there would be a market for a shuttle bus between the airport and Nicosia wouldn't you? It's a 30 minute trip along a dual-lane highway so it's surely feasible. I know I'd be happy to pay a $15 or $20 to save myself the $50-60 taxi fare I'm forced to take.

I'll try and make this the last complaint about transport, but I'm not making any promises!

No comments: