Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Olympics Accomodation

I've managed to book accommodation for the Olympics (for the middle night, at least). I'll be staying on the Agean I cruise ship which will be docked at Lavrio, about 50 km out of Athens:

http://www.cruise.gr/aegean_one.html

It's 160 euros a night (about $300) so it's still not exactly cheap, but at least I'll be getting reasonable value for money rather than paying $600 a night for a 2 star place in Athens. One agent even sent me a special offer of a room for $US1000 a night for a 3 star hotel! The normal rate for that particular hotel is 50 euros a night. It's just robbery.

I'm assuming that most of the facilities won't be available on the ship but hopefully I'll still be able to have a swim in the pool.

I'm still deciding whether I want to stay there on the first night as well. I can't stay there on the last night as the first bus doesn't leave until 5:30 and my flight back to Cyprus departs at 6:30. So I think I'll just stay in Athens until the early hours of the morning (hopefully at a giant television screen) and then try and get a bit of sleep at the airport. I'm sure I'm going to be less than attentive at my training course the following morning but I'll worry about that then!

1 comment:

aidanb said...

Same here
Welcome to the early flight club. I'm going to be doing that this coming Saturday night in London. Basically stay in a nightclub until it closes then get a taxi to the airport and wait for my plane.