Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Shopping and cricket

Yesterday I went to do some shopping at the nearby supermarket after work. When I was there on Saturday I somehow missed the fact that there's a second floor! They have escalators to get up to the second floor (the stair kind), so to get the trolleys up there they have a special pulley system next to the escalator which is quite cute.

The prices are in general the same or a little more expensive than Australia, except for a few items like icecream and chocolate, which are outrageously expensive. A 200g block of Cadbury's chocolate is over $5, and the cheapest icecream tubs I can find are $6 for 2L. Strangely enough individual icecreams, which are basically a combination of the above expensive items, are very good value in Australian terms with my favourite (enormous) icecream being $3.

After I got back from shopping all the Indians in my apartment complex had started a game of cricket, they even had stumps set up! The pitch was... uneven (a coarse gravel road) so it was probably best we were just using a tennis ball. I managed to get a few wickets but when I came to bat I hit the ball over the fence of a nearby house first ball. I didn't even get 6 for it! It was probably for the best though as I only just made the start of the 200m.

No comments: